A broader function of the Estonian Internal Security Service as a government agency within the area of government of the Ministry of Internal Affairs is maintenance of national security through collection of information and implementation of preventive measures as well as investigation of offences to the extent established by the Government of the Republic Regulation.
Tasks of the Estonian Internal Security Service:
- collection and processing of information for the prevention and combating of activities aimed at changing by force the constitutional order and territorial integrity of Estonia;
- collection and processing of information for the prevention and combating of intelligence activities directed against the state;
- collection and processing of information for the prevention and combating of terrorism (including financing and supporting thereof);
- protection of state secrets and classified information of foreign states, performance of security vetting;
- non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, conduct of proceedings of offences related to explosive substances;
- anti-corruption combat;
- conduct of proceedings of other offences within the investigative jurisdiction of the Board.
The Estonian Internal Security Service is among the security authorities that have also been assigned the tasks of the police. It means investigation of offences and, for instance, the legal right to apply coercive measures.